Saturday, December 15, 2012

“Thou and I shall see him dine”: “Good King Wenceslas on the album Piano Christmas

Photo: Gryffindor

This carol has a special place in my heart. I remember my mother singing it to my sister and me before we went to sleep.

We lived in a little 8’X23’ trailer house in a windswept mountain valley.

I was always intrigued by the thought of the king looking out of his grand palace and deciding to go out into the snow to take food, wine, and fuel to a poor man in the country.

Freegal has dozens and dozens of renditions of the song. I like the meditative piano version by Randy Klein.

But you can get it in all kinds of styles. Give a listen to Dixieland Ramblers, Mambo Folk, Tropical Steel Band and Columba Mistrels (celtic.)

(There is also one by a group called “Jingle Punx.” But I don’t recommend that one unless you’re really angry this Christmas.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog freeandlegalmusicdownloads.blogspot.com.