Sunday, December 9, 2012

"So this is Christmas": "Happy Christmas (War Is Over) by John Lennon

Photo: Alina Zienowicz
This song is sort of a combination protest/Christmas celebration song.

I've always been drawn to the folksy tune of this song, and thanks to a little research on Wikipedia today, I know why.

It's based on the tune for the folk ballad "Stewball."

Try singing these lyrics to the tune of "Happy Christmas," and you'll see what I mean:

Oh, Stewball was a race horse
And I wish he were mine.
He never drank water
He always drank wine.

Lennon has elevated the song considerably.

Sadly, there are no Beatles on Freegal..  But Murdo Mcrae does a version similar to Lennon's. If you're not an absolute purist, it's a nice cover. (If you are an absolute purist, I understand.)

Wata Igarishi and Roch Voisine also do interesting versions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog freeandlegalmusicdownloads.blogspot.com.