Friday, February 22, 2013

Oscar-Winning Songs of the 60’s: “Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Butch Cassidy of The Wild Bunch   Image Credit

When I was in sixth grade, we sang this song as the finale to our talent show. Heaven knows why. Probably because it’s about defeating “the blues they send to great me” and ends with the line “nothin’s worrying me,” which was a late 60’s mantra, if there ever was one.

And heaven knows why a song about raindrops is used for a story about outlaws.  I guess that since the film is mostly a light hearted romp (yes, I know they ran to their death at the end, but by golly, they had some fun before then), the catchy tune and lyrics underscore the mood.

The photo of Butch Cassidy is interesting because, as the book Outlaws, Mobsters & Crooks tells us:
 “During a trip to Fort Worth, Texas, five members of the Wild Bunch had dressed in new clothes to have their picture taken. As the story goes, Cassidy mailed a copy of the picture to the bank they had just robbed to thank them for their ‘contribution.’ The picture fell into the hands of Pinkerton detectives who were then able to identify the individual outlaws.”

“Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head” by B.J. Thomas is available for download from Freegal, just as easy, free, and legal as ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog freeandlegalmusicdownloads.blogspot.com.