Friday, September 28, 2012

“These Days of Dust”—“I Will Wait for You” by Mumford & Sons

Photo: NOAA George E. Marsh Album

Some people are into periods of history like Tudor England or WWI.

I’m into the Dust Bowl.

Maybe because I know what it’s like to be in a dust storm so bad you can’t see across the road. Maybe because I used to travel with my family across the belly of the dust bowl, through Clayton, New Mexico and Dalhart, Texas.

Maybe because I read a remarkable book called The Worst Hard Times. I found out that the static electricity in a duster would knock out the electronics in cars. People tried not to touch each other during a dust storm; the shock was so painful. They also tried canning thistles to eat. No food growing anywhere.

So when I hear a banjo and a line like “These days of dust,” well I just have to get the song.
It’s available, along with the rest of Mumford & Sons’ album Babel, from Freegal.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog freeandlegalmusicdownloads.blogspot.com.