Monday, September 24, 2012

Got a Wife and Kids in Baltimore Jack—Hungry Heart by Bruce Springsteen


Photo: Goldwyn Pictures
 The Boss is on Freegal!

How come no one told me before? Actually, that’s the thing I like about Freegal: I’m constantly finding new things.  I knew about Elvis and Michael Jackson, but can’t believe I missed Springsteen.

 “Hungry Heart” was on The River, his first album to hit the number one spot on Billboard’s charts.

The title is taken from the line in Tennyson’s poem, Ulysses “For always roaming with a hungry heart.”
The photo is from a 1922 movie called Hungry Hearts, which is about the hopes and hardships of an immigrant Jewish family.

I wonder if the title also alludes to Springsteen’s early life. He had always wanted to be a musician, but his father was dead set against it. On the other hand, his mother bought him a $60 electric guitar, an enormous sum for the family in those days.

Fortunately for mom, this rock and roll gig turned out all right for Bruce.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog freeandlegalmusicdownloads.blogspot.com.